Lead Mechanical Engineer / Lead Product Developer
|Title:||Lead Mechanical Engineer / Lead Product Developer|
Geochord is looking for an experienced mechanical design engineer to serve as a Lead Mechanical Engineer. In your role as a Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will oversee projects from concept ideation through component/system design and development to final production. To aid you in your role as a Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will be provided with cutting-edge work management tools and expert guidance to help you to successfully deliver on simultaneous projects.
Geochord has recently refocused its vision, with a mission to “fearlessly create innovative, sustainable products with meaningful design and impeccable quality.” You will be helping forge a new path for product development to drive the “green economy”, and building a process for delivering “best in class” sustainable product designs. We are currently assembling a high-performing team to achieve our vision's success – we hope you are ready for the challenge!
The Lead Mechanical Engineer role will involve:
* Creating electro-mechanical part and assembly designs using parametric 3D CAD tools, with emphasis on aesthetic design intent implementation and developing internal component layouts, stack-ups and space studies as necessary
* Inventing top-level and subsystem concepts (e.g. mechanisms), building quick mockups to validate feasibility and coordinating fabrication of working prototypes.
* Generating complete mechanical manufacturing packages for suppliers, including 3D CAD models, 2D drawings, top-level BOMs, part and system-level specifications
* Defining mechanical reliability test procedures to validate performance goals, verifying compliance with applicable EMC safety certifications, coordinating testing and compiling documentation of results
* Researching and proposing innovative technology enablers (e.g. materials and components) and recognizing and targeting potential areas for patent protection
* Defining and managing project schedules, resource planning and key milestone deliverables (including potential scheduling conflicts and delays) and coordinating work activities among internal and external team members
* Organizing and leading project update presentations and design reviews, preparing visual materials for describing complex engineering concepts (such as screenshots, photos and videos) for internal team, supplier and client communication
* Leading and mentoring less experienced team members, sharing new design engineering insights and promoting a positive team environment
As a Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will create high quality mechanical, electro-mechanical and assembly designs using parametric 3D CAD models. You will ensure that all final project designs achieve client and end-user requirements and that they emphasize the merging of aesthetic design intent with proficient implementation.
Your specific duties as a Lead Mechanical Engineer will include:
* Leading and participating in brainstorming sessions and other team meetings intended to define design priorities and performance goals based on client objectives
* Identifying, engaging and interviewing potential contract manufacturers and other suppliers as well as visiting and evaluating possible manufacturing partners to review their production capabilities and readiness
* Reviewing tooling designs to verify the quality of fit and finish implementation as well as supporting manufacturing partners to resolve issues during design transfer and transition to mass production
* Designing and reviewing manufacturing test fixtures and procedures, reviewing and approving initial production samples, analyzing and testing field returns to determine root cause of failure and proposing and implementing corrective actions
* Preparing client proposals, including project execution budgets as well as prototype and end-product cost estimates
* Identifying and implementing process improvements for internal and external benefit and preparing best-practices and lessons-learned documents
* Building and maintaining strong relationships with clients and across the broader product development/manufacturing/supplier community
* Monitoring the latest innovations related to product development, including new component technologies, materials, manufacturing and prototyping processes
As a Lead Mechanical Engineer you must be results-driven and have a passion for delivering innovative product experiences with impeccable quality. You must also have a strong eye for detail, a passion to create innovative and aesthetic product designs, and a desire to develop sustainable products. It is also important for your role as a Lead Mechanical Engineer that you thrive on collaborating with project team members from multiple disciplines (including industrial design, usability, electrical engineering, manufacturing and marketing) as well as from different cultures. You must also have a collaborative style and the ability to lead by example in a hands-on style.
Specific qualifications for the Lead Mechanical Engineer position include:
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related design engineering field
* 6-10 years experience designing products in a consumer-oriented industry
* 2+ years of experience leading product development projects in a team environment
* Must have exceptional 3D CAD skills (Pro/E or SolidWorks) for creating robust parametric models, including: complex surfacing (“Class A” quality) to accurately capture design intent; top-down “master model”-driven assemblies; large assembly setup & management; mechanism development
* Must have proven experience in design-for-manufacturing (DFM), design-for-assembly (DFA) and design-for-disassembly (DFD)
* Strong analytical and organizational skills as well as the ability and commitment to produce highly accurate work on a tight schedule
* Understanding of and familiarity with mass production manufacturing processes for consumer products, including injection molding, sheet metal stamping and forming, die casting, compression molding, extrusion and decoration technologies
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels (including fluency in English), with an emphasis on clarity and positive collaboration
* Willingness to travel domestically and internationally from 3 to 6 or more times per year
* Experience designing for agency certifications (e.g. UL, CE, FCC, FDA) and familiarity with other technical disciplines such as EE or RF preferred
* Experience using computational tools to analyze and optimize components and systems for structural, thermal and dynamic mechanical performance a plus
* Experience developing sustainable products is a plus
We value and appreciate your hard work and professional dedication as a Lead Mechanical Engineer, and will reward you with a compensation package which will include a competitive salary and benefits (including 401K with company match).
Based in Chicago, Geochord is a growing product development firm that has established a strong track record of developing innovation. Geochord has helped large and small companies develop and launch award-winning consumer products across several industries, including: Consumer Electronics, Furniture, Lighting, Office Products, Sporting Goods, and Medical Devices.
Our product development process focuses on the intersection between engineering and design to deliver a user-centered experience that is unique, yet intuitive. Our collaborative, multidisciplinary approach provides services from concept through production, including innovative concept generation, CAD modeling, engineering development, technology research, prototyping and patent search. Our sustainable vision will help guide Geochord's future projects and endeavors, where an environmental and socially-responsible perspective is carefully considered.
Geochord's core values are:
* Build Trust
* Be Helpful and Humble
* Seek the Impeccable
* Revel in the Weirdness
* Fuel Passion for Learning and Accomplishment
These shared values embody what we are made of...and encourage a friendly, collaborative and creative environment. We are a vibrant culture with adventurous thinking, and are tenacious in the pursuit of solving difficult problems for our customers. We see personal growth as building on strengths and stretching beyond limitations, and view accomplishment as producing valuable customer results which benefit local and global communities. We continue to forge new paths in innovation by creating user-centered designs inspired by natural systems.